The Technical Operations Manager will be a pivotal team member running day-to-day Master Control Room (MCR) operations, responsible for all MCR functions during live sport and events coverage. The successful candidate will work in QTV’s remote production facilities in Glasgow. The role includes a high degree of technical complexity under operational pressures and responding to all stakeholders in a positive, friendly, and proactive manner.
- Line-up of incoming audio video circuits from both QTV OBs and third-party productions.
- Receive and reconfigure production resources to match delivery specification (video, audio, reverse video feeds).
- Liaise with our distribution partners on the content paths as well as QTV’s satelite partners to ensure content is delivered securely and timeously.
- Management of incoming audio circuits and commentary facilities to ensure commentators are assigned to the correct feeds for transmission or production.
- Routing and switching of feeds, based on the internal booking systems to production control rooms, multi-purpose flexible production stations, and voiceover or commentary booths.
- Critical assessment of video and audio contribution feeds.
- Proactive monitoring of incoming feeds with rapid action to restore service using pre-defined emergency procedures.
- Scheduling and monitoring of record status of each production.
- Troubleshooting technical issues and escalation of faults to relevant teams.
- Managing the inbuilt system redundancy to ensure that minimum disruption to services is caused by equipment failures.
- Supervise bookings and resources while effectively managing the MCR and remote engineering teams.
- Understand all technical and production workflows.
- Contribute to detailed reports.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience in a customer-facing role with good interpersonal skills, excellent service and communication skills. Able to react tactfully and sympathetically to requests from all stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience of vision, sound, routing, communication and computer systems as they relate to a broadcast environment
- Familiarity with a wide range of contribution standards such as J2K and H264/H265.
- Understanding of video and audio timing.
- Excellent fault finding skills with a keen ability to create workaround solutions in high pressure situations.
- The ability to make critical assessments of television pictures and waveforms.
- Good knowledge of IP broadcast systems, IT and TCP/IP networking infrastructure.
- Detailed operational knowledge of tools used to diagnose issues with video and audio feeds, including waveform monitors and audio monitoring units.
- Familiarity with scheduling and ingest systems used in a broadcast environment.
- Good understanding of end-to-end production processes and the ‘live’ transmission chain in a broadcast environment.
- Knowledge of multichannel audio monitoring and shuffling.
- Experience with Ross Ultrix Control system or equivalent.
- Operational roles in Scheduling or Ingest departments.
- The ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a live transmission and production environment.
- Ability to learn, and able to keep up with technical changes within the industry.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Sports broadcasting is a fast-paced 24/7 industry which often involves evening and weekend working. QTV offers a flexible working policy allowing employees to maintain a work/life balance. Other benefits include:
- Employee Assistance Programme (mental health and one-to-one counselling)
- Cash plan (physio, dental, opticians)
- Pension Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Critical Illness & Insurance
QTV is an award-winning multimedia production company and outside broadcast (OB) facility specialising in creating sports content for rights-holders, event organisers, and sponsors. The company works in partnership with over thirty-five sports, globally, providing a range of production and content services including:
- Outside Broadcast Production: Broadcast quality coverage of live sport and events using our fleet of OB vehicles.
- Livestreaming: Innovative production solutions for direct-to-consumer live digital content.
- Highlights and In-Play Clips: Post-event and real-time highlights with active social media management.
- Broadcast Operations: Back-end technical support for clients from our production facility.
- Features: Engaging and creative content, to brief, which supports the content strategy for main event coverage.
- Consulting: Using an extensive industry network to advise clients on growing the profile of their sport.
QTV has an outstanding reputation for developing young talent and has strategic partnerships with a number of colleges and universities. QTV has been recognised for this with the award of an Investors in Young People accreditation. The company is also signatories of the Scottish Business Pledge and the Real Living Wage.